Who is Kevin Flynn?
Kevin is a lifelong Cincinnatian, dedicated to making Cincinnati a better place to live, work, and play. Kevin served on Cincinnati City Council from 2013-2018. Deciding he had accomplished what he set out to do, he declined to run for reelection in order to pursue other areas of public service. But after a full one third of the Council was indicted or convicted of corruption crimes in 2020 and 2021, Kevin heard the call once again: he would put his other public service on hold in order to restore trust, integrity, and transparency to city government.
During his prior service on City Council, Kevin chaired the Rules and Audit Committee and was Vice-Chair of the Law and Public Safety Committee. He also served as a member of the Budget & Finance, Neighborhoods, and Transportation Committees. Kevin was widely viewed as the financial watchdog, guardian of the Charter, and the voice of reason while on Council.
This was not Kevin’s intended path after deciding not to run for a second term on City Council. Kevin had intended to step away from politics. While on Council, Kevin established parameters for ongoing professional administration of our city government with the reinstitution of the Audit Committee and the establishment of the Office of Data and Performance Analytics. Kevin took his job on Council seriously and had 100% attendance at Council meetings during his 4 year term, a record unmatched by his peers. Kevin wants his public service to have a meaningful impact, and he had hoped to be able to devote his time post-Council to increasing opportunities for persons with disabilities.
When Kevin returns to Council, he intends to fight for increasing public safety, continuing fair and equitable development in our city, bringing jobs and a stable tax base to Cincinnati, and assuring that basic city services like garbage collection, filling potholes, and cutting the grass will be maintained. Kevin will bring back the trust, integrity, and transparency that has been lacking these past 4 years by Shining a Light on City Hall.
Early Endorsements for Kevin Flynn include:
- Cincinnati Firefighters Union IAFF 48
- The Charter Committee of Greater Cincinnati
Kevin is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati and the University of Cincinnati College of Law. Kevin began his law career with the firm Paxton & Seasongood and most recently worked with Griffin Fletcher & Herndon. He is recently retired both from active practice of law and as an adjunct professor at the University of Cincinnati, where he taught at the College of Law for 27 years and the Lindner College of Business for 3 years.
Kevin has been active in many volunteer activities over the years, including:
- Commissioner, Cincinnati Park Board
- Board Member, Center for Addiction Treatment
- Board Member and Service Learning Committee Chair, St. Vincent DePaul Society
- Board Member, Cincinnati Fire Foundation
- Board Member, Center for Independent Living Options
- Board Chair, Ohio Statewide Independent Living Council
- Board Chair and President, The Drake Center
- Board Member, LaSalle High School Advancement Board
- Board Member, LaSalle High School Principal's Advisory Board
- Board Member, McAuley High School Development Board
- Co-Chair, McAuley High School McAuction
- Chair, Little Flower Festival Committee
- Coach, Little Flower Track, Basketball, and Football Teams
- Coach, Mt. Airy Soccer and T-Ball Teams
- President, Little Flower Parish Council
- President, Little Flower Parents, Teachers, and Friends Association
- Member, Little Flower Finance Commission
- Board Member, Dan Beard Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Chairman, Kuliga District, Dan Beard Council, Boy Scouts of America
Kevin was in a life changing auto accident 19 years ago, and he lives with quadriplegia. Kevin sees each day as a new opportunity to make his community better by dedication to public service.
Kevin lives in Mt. Airy, where he grew up. He attended Little Flower Grade School (as did 24 other members of his family) and LaSalle High School. Kevin is married to his terrific wife, Peggy Flynn, and they are the parents of three wonderful children: Kevin, Shannon, and Colleen.